MTN is passionate about the development of athletics in Uganda. Since 2004, together with Uganda Athletics Federation (UAF), we sponsor various athletics championships each year. These meets form part of the qualification process for international athlete meets such as The World Championships and the Olympics.
As a result, we have seen talent develop from Uganda with the likes of Dorcus Inzikuru (Steeple Chase World Champion), Boniface Kiprop and Stephen Kiprotich, who won gold medals at both the London 2012 Olympics and Moscow 2013 World Championships.
The MTN Kampala International Marathon is Uganda’s biggest sporting event, which has been held every year since 2004. Elite athletes from Kenya, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Rwanda and Uganda come together to compete for a cash prize.
The MTN Monthly Mug Tournament is a golf tournament, hosted at the Uganda Golf Club, that pits club members against each other for the coveted Golf Mugs. The tournament hosts a maximum of 140 participants every month and offers Uganda Golf Club members an opportunity to compete on both an amateur and professional level.
MTN Heathens Rugby team
MTN is the official sponsor of the MTN Heathens rugby team, and we are proud of our outstanding partnership with the MTN Heathens, which has stretched over a period of 16 years.
Our longstanding relationship has seen the growth of the MTN Heathens into a dominant rugby team in Uganda over the years. The team have won a multitude of trophies and continue to supply the bulk of the national team players: Uganda Rugby Cranes.
Kampala Club Chairmans Cap
MTN sponsors the annual Chairman’s Cup, hosted and held at the Kampala Club, which brings together captains of industry and prominent government officials. The Chairman’s Cup involves all nine sports disciplines played at the club.
Below are highlights of some of the MTN Heathen’s achievements since our sponsorship began in 2000 winning:
- 11 league trophies, and this includes five seasons – 2009 to 2013 – where they won the league back to back
- Eight Uganda Cup trophies, the highest ever record for the country
- All except two, seven-a-side tournaments since 2000: this amounts to 11 trophies in total, a huge feat achieved by the team
- Five trophies for the Makerere ten-a-side tournaments; these competitions involve the entire East Africa region, and hence the team have proved their capabilities by beating the best in the region
- The MTN Heathens have also been the only team in Uganda to have won all local trophies on offer (league, Uganda Cup and seven-and ten-a-side tournaments) on four occasions: 2002, 2004, 2009 and 2013
- Are the only rugby team to have been voted Uganda Sports Press Association Rugby Team of the Year in 2009
- Have provided the bulk of national team players for a number of years, and on a year-by-year basis, they provide at least seven key players