Frequently asked questions
MTN Hosted PABX is a virtual PBX solution that provides voice over IP services. With the Hosted PABX, you can enjoy traditional PABX services such as call transfer, group pickup, call forwarding, auto attendant, and call queueing, without a physical PBX at your business premises.
As part of the setup, PABX groups (also called Centrex groups) are set up with several extensions in each group, such that calls between extensions are free.
- Additional supplementary services such as dual ringing, line hunting, 3-party conferencing, short code dialing, call forwarding, and call hold.
- Mobile devices can be added to a Centrex group as soft phones, to enable free calling between fixed devices and the added mobile devices.
- Dedicated leased line to enable IP connectivity between your premises and our core network.
Unlike MTN SIP Trunking or MTN PRI ISDN where you need to have your own internal phone system/PBX, with MTN Hosted PABX, we provide you with a virtual PBX so that you do not need to have your own PBX.
We recommend the Hosted PABX service for businesses that need a PBX or an internal phone exchange system, but do not want or cannot afford the hassle of purchasing and maintaining their own PBX. In addition, having a physical PBX may require additional hardware to scale.
- Limited hardware investment, as the system is hosted by MTN.
- Reduced maintenance costs as you only need maintain IP phones (desk sets) and voice gateway equipment (if you have analog phones).
- Availability and Reliability, as the system is hosted in a secure environment with constant system monitoring for availability, reliability and performance.
- Scalable and suitable for any business size across any number of locations.
- Ease of management, as users and services can be quickly configured and implemented through an easy-to-use interface.
Charges include one-off setup charges, monthly subscription charges (a fixed amount per extension), and usage charges at local fixed line rates for calls outside the Hosted PABX group (also known as a Centrex group).
A leased line is a data link used to connect 2 corporate offices for the purpose of transferring information between the 2 offices.
Your business must have at least 2 office locations that need to share information on a regular basis.
A leased line is simply a link on which you can transfer your information. MTN provides the link and you put the information on it. Dedicated Internet provides dedicated access to the Internet (World Wide Web) to enable you access online information from across the globe.
The capacity of the leased line is the capacity that you requested for on signing up. For example, a 3Mbps leased line gives you a maximum capacity of 3Mbps, available whenever it is needed.
The limit on the download and upload speeds for your leased line is indicated by the capacity of your leased line. Thus, a 2Mbps leased line gives a 2Mbps speed limit for both uploads and downloads. Note that this refers to upload and download of files from within your own company network, since it is simply a leased line.
Your business information is as secure as your internal and private company network. Since the leased line provides connectivity between your various office locations or branches, your company information is secure along the line, since the only point of entry onto the link is through your own private company network.
MTN SIP Trunking provides an alternative to PRI lines for your fixed line calls. A SIP trunk is a virtual connection between an IP phone exchange system (IP-PBX) and a telephone service provider and is connected over a business’s data network. With SIP trunks, you are able to eliminate PRI connections and rely on a data or internet connection straight to your IP-PBX to make voice calls.
The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) is the key protocol that supports VoIP (voice over IP) calls. It does so by setting up and tearing down real-time sessions (calls) between two endpoints (phones). SIP trunks therefore use VoIP to enable voice calls over the internet or a data network.
Calls on MTN SIP Trunks are charged at local fixed line rates.
The benefits of using MTN SIP Trunking are:
- Flexibility to use different service providers to achieve Least Cost Routing (LCR) on outgoing calls since you have your own IP PBX.
- Easy and quick scalability as there is no need to add termination hardware when increasing trunk capacity, as is the case with PRI ISDN. Adding or removing extra capacity can be as simple as a configuration change, with the number of available simultaneous calling lines only limited by the available bandwidth.
- Greater cost efficiency than with PRI ISDN.
- Automatic call rerouting to pre-defined locations or to a mobile phone should the location go offline, or in the event of a data outage, allowing for business continuity.
- When the SIP Trunking service is delivered over an internet connection, unused bandwidth can be temporarily used for other purposes.
The bandwidth needed for a SIP Trunk depends on the number of simultaneous calls a business would like to be able to conduct on the SIP Trunk. This can be determined at the time of signing up for the service.
MTN PRI ISDN
MTN PRI ISDN provides fixed lines with multiple voice channels for the business with a high volume of voice calls.
The Primary Rate Interface (PRI) is a physical connection between your business’s internal phone system or PBX and our fixed line switch, which enables you to route calls from your business through our network. The setup requires that all your office extensions connect to your PBX, into which one or more PRI lines terminate.
Each PRI line, also referred to as an E1, provides up to 30 voice channels that enable you and your staff to make up to 30 calls through your PRI line simultaneously.
If you have several office locations, each of your locations needs one PRI line. Depending on the needs at each location, it is possible to activate less than 30 channels on the PRI line. In general, the number of voice channels you need on each PRI line depends on your requirements as a business.
In addition, it is possible to have more than 1 PRI line at a single location. This is dependent on the number of simultaneous calls you need to be able to make from that location.
Any business that has a high volume of calls and would like to be able to make several calls outside the organization from the same number simultaneously would require a PRI line.
While both services provide multiple voice channels, a SIP Trunk requires an IP connection (Internet or data connection) and must connect to an IP-PBX.
Outgoing calls on MTN PRI ISDN are charged at fixed line rates. In addition, there is a fixed monthly rental charge per voice channel.
MTN Closed User Group
MTN Closed User Group is a value-added service that enables users within a pre-defined group to make calls to one another for free or at preferential discounted rates, while calls outside the group are charged at the standard prevailing rates. This delivers convenience and cost savings for multi-user business environments.
The minimum number of users in a CUG is 5. You therefore need to have at least 5 of your staff joining the CUG to be eligible for the service.
There is a monthly subscription fee per user in the CUG.
The CUG service does not extend to roaming calls. Thus, a user in the CUG who is roaming cannot call other users in the CUG for free.
There is no limit.
MTN SME Internet
MTN SME Internet is a fast, unlimited and affordable internet solution for small and medium size businesses, that require reliable internet to operate. This is the right solution for supermarkets, pharmacies, consultancy firms, salons, video and graphic designers among other businesses.
- Unlimited Internet with no volume caps and no bundle top-ups throughout the month
- Experience reliable high-speed internet
- Get value for money from the affordable range of packages designed to suit your business requirements
Other than sending and receiving email, this service will enable you to surf the web, hold multimedia internet calls, stream music or news and sports, plus high-speed downloads and uploads of your documents.
MTN SME Internet comes in three different packages starting from UGX 290,000 per month.
Yes, this service is available on the MTN fiber and 4G LTE broadband networks countrywide.
Internet For Business
MTN Dedicated Internet is a fixed internet service that delivers high bandwidth and high internet speed for your business over fiber, Ethernet or LTE. With this service, you are guaranteed reliable, 24/7 direct connectivity to the internet, tailor-made to suit your specific needs
- Guaranteed always on internet experience when you upload or download to and from the internet
- Unlimited data with no volume caps to ensure continuity of your online access
- Reliable as it is supported by geographically redundant internet upstream links
- Ability to connect your business anywhere in Uganda using MTN fiber or LTE broadband
- Dedicated 24/7 service support
Manage your website and social apps, connect surveillance cameras, backup valuable information, web-conference, and research, connect to cloud-based services and live streaming in addition to sending and receiving email.
According to your business’ needs package is a price generated. This therefore implies flexible pricing purely based on what suits your business.
YES, because of MTN’s country wide network coverage.
Kazi is a shared voice, SMS and data service for small businesses, delivered as bundle offers.
Kazi bundles are designed for business owners who would like to manage a fixed communication budget, while still providing communication benefits for their employees or partners in the business. The bundle is shared among the business owner, boss or leader and his colleagues, partners or employees to enable smoother running of the day-to-day operations of the business. Kazi bundles can also be used by teams sharing office or shop space, so as to save on airtime or communication expenses, while still getting great value.
Visit the MTN Business Service center at Nyonyi Gardens, any MTN Service Center, call 0771001000 to speak to an agent, or contact talkbusiness.UG@mtn.com. You need to sign up with a business name, as well as the name and phone number of the contact person for the business. You also need to have your Main number and Attached numbers registered and ready.
A Main number is the first number that is registered on the Kazi bundle account. It is the number to which other numbers are attached. The minutes, SMS and data are loaded on this number and shared automatically off this number to the Attached numbers.
Attached numbers are signed up on the Kazi service under a Main number. They share the bundle minutes, SMS and data that are loaded on the Main number
Yes, you can top up with airtime
The minutes, SMS and data are valid for 30 days. However, you can extend the validity of your bundle if you buy a new bundle before the old one expires. Your old bundle will then remain valid until the date of expiry of the new bundle.
A Kazi bundle can be carried over if you buy another Kazi bundle before the existing Kazi bundle expires. A bundle can only be carried over once.
Yes. A postpaid customer can sign up for Kazi, and buy a bundle using their prepaid airtime.
Once you have signed up for the service, you can dial *160*81# to buy a bundle using airtime. A Call Centre or Service Centre Advisor can also activate a bundle for you if you have sufficient airtime balance on the Main number
No. Kazi bundles have to be shared with a minimum of 3 other numbers. You need to sign up with your number, and at least 3 other numbers to be able to buy a Kazi bundle.
The bundle can be shared among up to 16 numbers or users.
Yes. You can use any MTN number with the 039, 077 and 078 prefix as one of the Attached numbers on Kazi.
No. The service can be created on your existing MTN numbers.
The minutes, SMS and data are automatically shared equally among all numbers signed up as soon as the bundle is bought. However, a customized allocation of minutes, SMS and data can be provided on request. Speak to your Account Manager, or a Call Center or Service Center agent to have a customized allocation created for you.
No. Only the Main number in the group can buy a bundle for the group. However, any number in the group can buy a bundle for the group by dialing *160*81# and using the “Buy for Another” option.
Yes. You can call any number when you are signed up for Kazi. However, the bundle can only be used for calls to MTN or calls to other local networks.
Yes. With Kazi bundles, all numbers sharing the bundle can call each other for free without using their MTN to MTN minutes on the bundle. However, this is only possible if the bundle is active.
No. SMS between numbers sharing the bundle is charged and will therefore use the MTN to MTN SMS on the bundle.
Dial *160*81# and select “Check Balance”.
Yes. You can still use other MTN services, such as international calling bundles, voice bundles, SMS bundles and data bundles while signed up for Kazi. However, your minutes, SMS and data on the Kazi bundle will be used up first.
Yes. The validity of your old bundle will then be extended to 30 days, and the remaining balance on your Main and Attached numbers will be added to the new allocations from the new bundle.
The Business Combo offers Voice, SMS and Data bundles which MTN’s corporate clients can have assigned to their employees in quantities that suit the role each employee serves in driving the organization’s business agenda.
- Corporate customers
- Multinational corporations
- Government & Public sector customers
Control: Companies can control their spend by centrally managing their communication needs
Choice: Companies have a variety of bundles they can choose from including but not limited to: Voice bundles, Data bundles, Go bundles, International Calling bundles, SMS bundles etc
Value: Through MTN Business’ array of bundles, customers get the best value from Uganda’s biggest network. Unused bundles can be carried over into the next month if unused in previous month.
Efficiency: The Combo bundle is activated centrally for all employees which ensures administrative efficiency.
The business customer will inform his/her Account manager before the end of the month, and the bundles will be renewed seamlessly.
No, the bundles will be carried over once a top up of the account is carried out before the end of the 30 days.
Yes, and the migration is immediate.
Unlimited Internet Bundles
It’s a new service that offers high speed internet with no volume caps to customers that need it all the time anywhere across the country.
It’s the best of both worlds, unlimited data on Uganda’s fastest & widest 4G LTE network. No data limits. No more top-ups.
Here’s what you get:
- Unlimited data
- Stream all the HD video you want, at any video quality
- Use your unlimited internet everywhere, in Uganda.
The new MTN Unlimited Internet is available for new and existing customers.
The service is also available for both Prepaid and Postpaid customers.
|Unlimited Options||When Can I Use It?||Price||Validity|
|MTN Unlimited – Basic||All Day & All Night||UGX 179,000||30 Days|
|MTN Unlimited – Premium||All Day & All Night||UGX 330,000||30 Days|
|Unlimited Options||When Can I Use It?||Price||Validity|
Please note that that Fair Usage Policy will be applied on the above packages.
You can switch to the new MTN Unlimited Internet by:
- Using airtime from your smartphone or other data device:
- Dial *150*55# then press OK and following the prompts
- Dial *160# then press OK and follow the prompts
- Using the MyMTN app by clicking on the “My Self-Service” button.
- Using your Mobile Money account:
- Dial *165# then press OK.
- Select option-7 to Buy Bundles and follow the prompts
- Dial *150*55# then press OK and follow the prompts on how to pay using Mobile Money.
- Using the MyMTN app by clicking on the “My Self-Service” button
- Visit any MTN Service center
- Call customer service on 100 (for MTN customers), 0771001000 for other customers
- MTN Business Customers can contact their account managers for scheduled activations to multiple numbers using the MTN Business Bulk Activation service for businesses.
Yes, using the MTN Business Bulk activation service, multiple numbers can be activated as per agreed schedule, in a timely and efficient manner. Simply get in touch with your MTN Business account manager to use this service.
No. There is no limit to where you can use the MTN Unlimited Internet within Uganda. You can use the service wherever MTN has internet coverage, off the countrywide 4G LTE, 3G and 2G networks. You are, therefore, able to stay online at home, as you work in your office or in the field, as you travel within Uganda or as you visit your village.
MTN Uganda has the best quality and most widespread mobile network in Uganda.
Yes. You can instantly buy and use the MTN Unlimited Internet on your mobile phone.
In case you have a 4G LTE smartphone or device, MTN recommends that you also swap your old MTN SIM card to a FREE 4G LTE SIM card from any MTN service center to enjoy the 4G network too. MTN in addition will give you an instant 3GB FREE as soon as you swap your card.
Yes. Customers can use MTN Unlimited Internet on their MTN 4G MiFi/router.
No, once you active an unlimited internet bundle, you will not able to activate a volume bundle until after the unlimited internet bundle has expired.
1. MTN Unlimited Internet services refers to the unlimited internet service provided for 30 days by MTN Uganda Limited.
2. Customer or subscriber means any person who utilizes the service(s) offered by MTN Uganda Limited.
3. “Service” in general includes but not limited to Internet Access, E-mail, World Wide Web, etc.
4. The Terms and Conditions herein, responsible Usage Policy published by MTN and as amended from time to time shall constitute and will be an integral part of the agreement between MTN and Customer with respect to the Service. MTN reserves the right to change any or all aspects of this agreement, operating rules, usage guidelines, prices governing the Service, service plans, the pricing structure, or product/service policies at any time without prior notice to the Customer. The customer acknowledges that it is his/her sole responsibility to apprise himself/herself of the Terms and Conditions and Fair Usage Policy, as amended from time to time and agrees to abide by the same. The Customer shall visit http://www.mtn.co.ug to apprise himself/herself of the latest terms and conditions, service plans & policies etc.
5. MTN shall provide Service to the customer, in accordance with the terms and conditions in force, and as amended from time to time, till the expiry of the specified period for which the Customer has paid for.
6. MTN will put in its best efforts and strive to maintain the maximum possible uptime of the Service. However, MTN will not be responsible for downtime of Service due to circumstances beyond its control.
7. The Customer also acknowledges and accepts that in the very nature of the services to be provided there can be number of factors affecting the provision of the service by MTN and the obligation of MTN to provide the services shall be on best endeavor basis.
8. MTN shall not be liable to the Customer for any loss, expense or damage of any kind in connection with the performance of its obligations under this contract or arising from disruption, interruption, suspension or malfunction of the Service, for whatsoever reason except when there is deliberate failure or breach on the part of MTN.
A Fair Usage Policy for internet services ensures that internet access is available to subscribers through satisfactory value-based service levels.
The monthly MTN Unlimited Internet services will follow the policies described below.
- Unlimited Premium at 330,000/-
|Data Usage||Data Speed|
|Any Usage up to 3 GB daily||No Restrictions|
|Any Usage above 3 GB daily||Up to 128kbps|
- The policy above is reset daily at 6:00am for 30 days
- Unlimited Basic at 179,000/-
|Data Usage||Data Speed|
|Any Usage up to 1 GB daily||No Restrictions|
|Any Usage above 1 GB daily||Up to 128kbps|
- The policy above is reset daily at 6:00am for 30 days
We are here to help, anytime!
For more information:
- WhatsApp 0772 123 100
- Customer Care +256 771 001 000
- Visit an MTN service center across the country
- Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org