MTN WakaNet Fiber
MTN WakaNet Fiber
What is MTN WakaNet Fiber?
MTN WakaNet Fiber is a fixed Home Internet solution delivered using fiber optic cable directly to your home. It provides a reliable high-speed internet connection with no cap on data volume to meet your home entertainment, education, surveillance, and home office needs. MTN WakaNet Fiber is currently available only in specific locations.
How many MTN WakaNet Fiber packages can I choose from?
MTN WakaNet Fiber is available as the Standard package (providing up to 20Mbps speed) and the Premium package (providing up to 40Mbps speed).
What is the difference between MTN WakaNet Fiber and MTN WakaNet Router?
MTN WakaNet Fiber delivers internet connectivity to your home using a fiber optic cable, whereas MTN WakaNet Router delivers internet connectivity to your home via a wireless connection on the MTN 4G network. In addition, there is no cap on data volume with MTN WakaNet Fiber and you simply need to have an active subscription to connect. MTN WakaNet Router uses bundles and therefore has a cap on data volume. When your bundle is depleted, you need to buy another bundle to stay connected.
What is a fiber optic network?
A fiber optic network is a network built with fiber optic cable and used to transmit large amounts of data quickly. The cable is made of hair-thin glass fibers which transport data in the form of light signals along the length of the cable. This makes it possible to achieve extremely high data speeds on the network, thus enabling the delivery of more robust and high-speed broadband services.
What are the advantages of a fiber optic internet connection?
Fiber optic connections allow connection to the internet at very high speeds and extremely low latency times. Unlike wireless solutions where several varying factors between the site and the customer premises affect the quality of the signal and thus the speed of the connection, the fiber optic connection is a wired connection that does not experience the same challenges. It is undoubtedly the best solution for any kind of internet use imaginable.
What internet speeds can I expect on MTN WakaNet Fiber?
The maximum speeds are 20Mbps on the Standard package, and 40Mbps on the Premium package. However, MTN implements a Fair Usage Policy (FUP) as follows:
- Maximum available speeds in the daytime are 12Mbps and 24Mbps on the Standard and Premium packages respectively,
- Maximum available speeds in the evening and on weekends are 20Mbps and 40MBps on the Standard and Premium packages respectively,
- Peer-to-peer applications such as torrent applications are limited to 1Mbps on the Standard package and 2Mbps on the Premium package, and
- Gaming applications are limited to 6Mbps on the Premium package.
Please note that the indicated speeds are what is available on your WakaNet Fiber connection, and not for every device that is connected to the Wi-Fi network supported by your connection.
SERVICE ORDERING: How do I know if MTN WakaNet Fiber is available in my area?
Eligible locations are visible on the MyMTN app under WakaNet Fiber. Go to Buy, select WakaNet Fiber, then follow the prompts to request for the service. The eligible locations are listed under the Location option. If your location is listed, you can go ahead to request for the service. In addition, after you request for the service, our team carries out further checks to confirm we can deliver the service to your specified address.
SERVICE ORDERING: How do I sign up for MTN WakaNet Fiber?
You can sign up for MTN WakaNet Fiber on the MyMTN app. Go to Buy, select WakaNet Fiber, then follow the prompts to request for the service. Ensure that you sign up while at the home location where the service is to be installed and your phone’s GPS is switched on so that the app can capture the right location coordinates.
SERVICE DELIVERY AND INSTALLATION: Where is the fiber optic cable laid? Which works are necessary?
After you request for the service, a survey of your address and the immediate surrounding areas will be done. The purpose of this survey is to establish the most optimal route for laying the fiber optic cable from the nearest PoP (point of presence) or fiber access point to your address. This may entail discussions with your neighbors or landlord where relevant. We may also need to seek the permission of local authorities in your area to dig trenches where required and lay the fiber cable. Please be aware that depending on the responsiveness of these parties, delays may be expected.
SERVICE DELIVERY AND INSTALLATION: How long does it take to set up your WakaNet Fiber service?
After you request for the service, we carry out checks to confirm we are able to deliver a fiber connection to your location. These checks include a physical survey to determine the optimal route for laying the fiber optic cable. Once this is confirmed and you have made payment, an engineer makes an appointment to call to your home to install the service, at a time that suits you. We try to limit this entire process to 14 days. Note however that any delays in scheduling appointments, making payment as well as negotiations or engagements in determining the route for the fiber optic cable may make the entire process longer.
SERVICE DELIVERY AND INSTALLATION: Is there any equipment installed with WakaNet Fiber?
Yes. A new device will be delivered and set up by the engineer when your service is being installed. This device actually combines modem and router capabilities in that it connects you to the internet via the fiber optic cable but is also the means for you to connect several devices (both via Wi-Fi and LAN cable) to this internet connection. The engineer will provide guidance on how to set up a Wi-Fi hotspot using this router, and how to change the password.
SERVICE DELIVERY AND INSTALLATION: Are there any equipment charges I need to be aware of?
The router provided at installation does not carry an additional cost. However, it remains the property of MTN, and is retrieved by our field service team if ever you choose to terminate your WakaNet Fiber service.
TROUBLESHOOTING AND SUPPORT: How can I get assistance from MTN when my MTN WakaNet Fiber is interrupted?
Please contact our Customer Support team using any of the options below:
TROUBLESHOOTING AND SUPPORT: What are some of the factors that may affect my service?
- Location of your router: The placement of your router will determine how you’re your home is covered by the Wi-Fi signal. The speed and strength of the Wi-Fi signal depends on the distance between the Wi-Fi router and the devices you are using (e.g. a smartphone, tablet, or laptop). Make sure the router is in an open space and positioned as high off the ground as possible. Windows, walls or any metal obstacles can affect the Wi-Fi signal.
- Multiple devices/users: The users connected to the Wi-Fi hotspot set up with your WakaNet Fiber service all share the speeds available. The more the devices or users connected to the Wi-Fi router, the slower the speeds available to each user.
- Computer OS (Operating System) version: Outdated operating systems may not have the latest performance tuning patches, and the increased likelihood of automatic updates being downloaded at the time of your speed test could slow down the connection speed.
TROUBLESHOOTING AND SUPPORT: How do I check if I am getting the expected speeds for my WakaNet Fiber service?
First, you will need to check what line speed you are getting by completing a wired speed test (using an ethernet/LAN cable) using a speed test tool. Next, compare the results of this test to what we have communicated to you as expected speeds based on our Fair Usage Policy (FUP) and the time of day.
If test results are unsatisfactory based on communicated terms, you can contact Customer Support for assistance.
TROUBLESHOOTING AND SUPPORT: How can I get an accurate speed test?
To get the best speed test results, we recommend running a wired test as this will be more accurate than over Wi-Fi. To do this, connect your device (laptop or desktop) directly to the router with an ethernet/LAN cable and then run a speed test.
If you are testing your speed over a wireless connection (Wi-Fi), bear in mind that it can be impacted by several things:
- Where the router is and how far your device is from the router when you run the test
- Interference from other wireless and electronic devices (e.g. cordless phones, microwaves, baby monitors, etc)
- Device capability, as not all devices are capable of high speeds. If you test on one that isn’t, your results may be lower than your speed really is.
- Other devices using the same connection can slow down your speed test. So, try to run the test with no other devices connected to the Wi-Fi network.
- Other networks sharing or overlapping the Wi-Fi channel used by your router will reduce capacity. Try to ensure the channel used by your Wi-Fi is not the same as neighboring Wi-Fi access points.
PAYMENT: How do I renew my monthly subscription for MTN WakaNet Fiber?
You can renew your monthly subscription on the MyMTN app. Go to Buy, select WakaNet Fiber, and then Renew Subscription. Select the required package and then pay using Mobile Money.
You must be logged in to the app with the same number that is linked to your WakaNet Fiber service.
This number can be found in the initial Service Activation email you receive when the service is first activated.
PAYMENT: Can my MTN WakaNet Fiber internet run out before 30days?
No. The subscription is valid for 30 days, with no cap on data volume. You, therefore, have an unlimited connection for 30 days.
SERVICE TERMINATION: How can I return the MTN WakaNet Fiber equipment when I no longer using the service?
MTN retrieves the Wi-Fi router when you are no longer interested in the service.
When you decide to terminate your WakaNet Fiber service, contact our Customer Support team and request for a service termination.
They will then arrange for the Wi-Fi router to be retrieved from your location.